Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Greece Vacation February 2014 (part2)


 The next day, our group was very excited because we had a new driver and a bigger bus. Yes, bigger buses are much more comfortable, especially when we're only four tourists taking up a space for twenty.

We stopped here for gas, drink and WC.
Our guide offer us Pasteli (a Greek snack made of sesame and honey, it's good but it's hard as a rock.)

This is a Picture of the ancient Olympia ruins from above.

A very famous statue of Hermes.
(we were not allowed to pose by the statue for picture, museum policy.)
Yes, the penis is broken, in fact almost all of the male statues in Greece have a broken penis.

Persian helmet VS Greek helmet.

Sculptures from the Zeus Temple.


After visiting the Museum, We hike into the Ancient Ruins of Olympia.

This is where they lit the torch for the Olympic games. it's not much, but atleast I get to see it.^_^

The Olympia stadium.
Yes, we did run on the field. it was very fun.

The price was a wreath for the victor, and our guide gave us each a small magnet from the the souvenir store for attending the race.^_^
  
The Rion-Antirion bridge, leaving Olympia and on the way to Delphi.

We spend a night at Crisso. The dinner was great, and I paid 4euros for a freshly squeezed orange juice.
 The view from my room was awesome.
Night sky was so clear, I was able to take this picture with a consumer grade camera.

Next day morning, on our way to Delphi.
Cherry blossoms was all over the mountains.

We had drink and coffee, and took some pictures here.

Delphi Museum.
There's some very egyptian style statues here.

this statue was once placed on a very tall pillar. its huge!

Start climbing!
If a 70 years old british gentleman can do it, I can too.

Yes, it's all uphills at ancient Delphi.

I think there used to be a waterfall between those peaks in the ancient times.

The Oracle is here.
No, I didn't ask when I'll find the right guy...^_^"

Ruins of Apollo temple.

And of course, each of these ancient cities have their own theatre.
Down the Valley is the Temple of Athena, not included with the tour.

This was supposed to be my last stop, but I had so much fun with the group, so I booked an extra day, and turn my three day classical tour into a four day tour.



No comments:

Post a Comment