Sunday, April 13, 2014

My Greece Vacation February 2014 (part1)


Waiting at the gate for departure. There was a very hot male flight attendant on this flight. Yes, I was staring at him whenever I got the chance.

 This is a B777-300, 10 across seating, not as comfortable as the ones with 9 across seating, but I was very lucky to have all three seats to myself.

First meal in Greece. They were out of Gyros, so I got this Pork Souvlaki (it was very chewy, I'd choose chicken after this experience.) 
  I arrived in Athens on Sunday, The plane was full on the connecting flight to Athens,(I thought it suppose to be lesser people during the low season?) seats are very small and cramped. It was very uncomfortable even for a small Asian guy like me. I almost couldn't breath sitting in a window seat with a female greek passenger next to me.
  Fortunately, the pilot made several turns before landing in Athens, the plane tilt about 30 degrees while turning, providing some great views for the passengers.  
  After going through the long line for passport check, Finally came to the exit. Luckily the officers don't ask any questions if you look like a tourist.
  The Metro was not available on this day, so I took the express shuttle. People come to Athens from around the world, you'll find help if you ask, but not all people are nice and kind. So do expect some challenging people, especially at the airport. You must excuse them because they probably got stuck in a tiny seat for more than 6hrs of flight.

 (Spotted tangerines all over the ground in a small park during on the pick-up bus.) 
  Second day I attended the 3 days classical tour, (I booked with Keytours)
Woke up early, ate some breakfast provided by the hotel,
 (Simple self service breakfast, boiled egg, bread, jelly, honey, yogurt, cake, ham, cheese, fruit, tea, coffee, milk, orange juice.)
  Rushed through breakfast, and drag my 15kg luggage downstairs waited for the pick-up bus outside the hotel, the bus was a bit late but it was acceptable.
  After arriving at the Keytours office, I met my very small group for the first time.
There were only 6 people in this group including me the driver and our guide.    

 First stop The Corinth Canal. Not very ancient, but magnificent.

Next Stop Mycenea, Treasury of Antreus or Tomb of Agamemnon. 

This is the first ancient site I saw in Greece. It's breathtaking.

The Tomb has a dome ceiling. this is a picture from the inside. 

The Lions Gate.
After visiting this site, I found out there's a lot of hiking and walking involve on this tour.

 This is a very awesome tourist trap, with a trojan horse outside at the front.

 The other side of the horse is more of a steampunk style.

 At first I thought that was a set of huge barbell, 
but actually they're wheels, the owner is planning to build a bigger horse in the future.

 There is a pottery workshop in the back.
The shop owner demonstrated how pottery is made.

 In the front is a souvenir shop, these things are cheaper in Athens^_^

 Souvenirs in Greece are so attractive, I just want to buy everything and bring them home.^_^

 I ended up bringing back 10kg of souvenirs home, but I didn't buy any from this place.
I bought most of my souvenirs at the Monastiraki square in Athens, I was checking the price tags under the alabaster statues in a store and the guy told me it's half price for everything. Saved me time and energy on bargaining, plus he was cute. So I bought a lot of stuff from him.

 The owner offered us coffee and tea before we left. I had tea, it was wonderful, the tea had honey and vanilla in it. Overall this is very special tourist trap, had a fun time there.

 The Epidaurus Theatre, the most well preserved ancient theatre in Greece.

  Yes, sound can travel to every corner of this Theatre from the center of that stage. It's incredible!
But I wasn't able hear it, because I was breathing so loud after climbing all the way to the top.



The Fortress of Palamidi, It was closed when we arrived so didn't get to see the inside.

The town of Navplion.





The Metropolitan Church of Saint George

Interior of the church.

After having dinner we took a little walk in town. (Food are not so great here, dinner and breakfast are included with the tour, but drinks and lunch are not.)

First night of the tour, we stayed at this hotel.

very modern and clean on the inside.

Bathroom is very tiny, but very new and clean. Somehow the water just won't stay in the shower area in Greece.


No comments:

Post a Comment